Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Clay in the Life: Stephanie Lemieux

You've never seen A Day in the Life - in clay!

Clay Baboons is one of my FAVORITE blogs.  When this genius is finally discovered, I'm taking credit for saying "I told you so" first.  Please welcome Stephanie in Nova Scotia, Canada!
Thank you to the ever-gracious and brilliant Sophia for inviting me to share a day in my life with all of you!

My name is Stephanie and I'm trying to be a writer. I'm trying to be a lot of things, as a matter of fact, but writing is what I want to do most of all. I'd like to invite you to join me on a typical uneventful Wednesday in my life.

Wake-up time in our house depends on my husband's schedule. I only have to get up at 7:00, but sometimes JP has to be at work before 5:00 AM. JP does not like waking up in the morning.

I drag myself out of bed and eat breakfast in front of the computer. I almost invariably eat oatmeal with raisins and walnuts, although last month I made the mistake of buying steel-cut oatmeal. So healthy. So smug. Except that it took 30 minutes to cook, so I had to eat chocolate pudding while waiting.

Please note: I break one of Sophia's blogging rules by responding to comments on my own blog. I'm sorry Sophia. I hope that we can still be friends.

I take Chase the wonderdog for a walk around the neighbourhood - much easier now that the sun comes up earlier.

Sometimes Princess Chase needs to be coaxed out of bed with a cookie.

And then...

I'm a contract worker teaching two different classes, which means that I teach full days three times a week, and mornings only on the other two days. On my morning-only days, I sometimes meet a friend for lunch.
(Did you see how expertly I slipped that in? I have a friend. While this might not seem like a big deal to all of you, it took me a long time to settle in to this last move. My husband's in the air force, and we moved from a major city to a tiny little nothing village. I couldn't find work for the first six months. I was a bit lonely. And very, very lazy. But I'm on more of a schedule now that I'm working.)
If I don't meet my friend for lunch, then I go home and make something to eat. Usually eggs.

I tutor children in the afternoon when I'm not teaching, and I have an hour or so before my first student arrives. I use this time wisely, setting a timer and efficiently completing household tasks.

No, that's a lie. I'm not very good at housekeeping. I usually leave things until they turn into Really Big Jobs.

Instead, I sit in front of my computer for 45 minutes, with every intention of getting some work or some writing done.

I need to work on my time management skills.
I pull out my materials and get ready for my first student to ring the doorbell. I love tutoring; while I (sometimes) miss being in a public school classroom, I really enjoy being able to work one-on-one with a student, focusing my instruction to meet his needs.

Before each student leaves, he gives Chase a cookie. Chase loves the children. Or the cookies. I think they're actually one and the same in his doggie brain. After I've met with all of my students, I take some time to jot down some notes and plan for the next lesson. When I've finished planning my tutoring lessons, I do some paperwork, planning or marking for my language classes.
I take Chase the wonderdog for a long walk, letting him off-leash in the field up the street. He runs like a crazy thing. If JP is home, the three of us walk together, but his schedule is kind of unpredictable.
If JP is home, we cook and eat supper together. If he isn't, then I cook and eat alone.

After supper, I work out. Confession: I don't really like working out. But I do it anyway.

Evenings are for writing. I work on my novel, write a blog post or make something out of clay. I write. It's what I do.
At least three times a week, I have a disaster to fix at some point in the day: I spill something, or break something, or lose something. I like to think that that's part of my charm.

Depending on how late it is, we might watch a movie or play a game of Boggle. Before bed, I read. I am highly suspicious of people who call themselves writers but don't make time to read every day.
I'm usually in bed at 11:00. On a good night, I fall asleep quickly and I don't wake up again until morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love dogs AND comments!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...