Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Queries, Here I Come

I got my first stab at a query letter critiqued by debut author Susan Dennard through her inaugural Query Day

This is a GREAT opportunity that only comes once a month so I recommend gluing yourself to your computer the way I did.  (She only takes the first 10 queries.  I almost passed out getting mine in at turbo speed.)

The biggest boost is that she didn't say, "Your story is unsalable."  In fact, she said many supportive, positive things.  If only she were my agent. :P

Now that I actually have a real live query to put through the ringer, I feel that much closer to this publication goal.  I'm going to take time and work the crap out of this query letter the way I've done with my MS. 

Anyone else working over their queries right now?  (I know Ali Cross' dojo ninjas might be)

11 comments:

  1. What great news, Sophia! Now you can work on it and then query this agent.

    Right now, I'm working on my WIP. I'm not too far from the end. I have a rough query of it, but nothing I'll work on until I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pleasetellmeitsforsweetambrosiapleasetellmeitsforsweetambrosiapleasetellmeitsforsweetambrosia

    *crosses fingers and hopes*

    I want to read it as a book book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on that opportunity and on getting positive comments. That's wonderful! Best of luck as you work on your query letter. Keep us posted!

    Erin @ Quitting My Day Job

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome that you got some actual feedback! Best of luck as you make your query rounds. I have a blogging award for you on my blog to thank you for your recent post on what Oprah’s book editor told you. It meant a lot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo, Susan tore my query apart too during Query Week at LTWF. Loved it! Best of luck with querying; super exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - awesome that you got yours through. Good luck on querying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just saw your post on my thing-posing-as-a-blog and wanted to say hey! LOL Am now following yours! The next Hollywood schmooze is pretty soonish - March 24 if I'm not mistaken (must check my calendar to make sure). Hopefully we'll get to chat there! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great you got in on the critique! Woo, you! Best of "luck" querying (a good query goes a long way toward getting an agent!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. good luck to you! sounds like you're on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've started thinking about writing my first query although it's pretty intimidating. Great job on how yours is going!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's fantastic! I'm going to have to go check out her blog. I have a first stab at a query, but I'm not sure it's the one. I'll probably have to hammer at it a dozen more times before I'm satisfied enough to send it to my CPs. Hint Hint ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love dogs AND comments!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...