Friday, May 13, 2011

Sweet and Bitter...But As Long As I Look Good

Damn that boba after 9 p.m.

Krispy and I had milk tea last night during the Bloggerpocalypse and I was up until past 5 again.  There goes the extra hours from my east coast jet lag.  I will blog my trip soon!


Thank you Susan Oloier and Kristine Asselin!  I'm so glad to have met you both. :)

I'll point to my previous posting of this award for people I've tagged.  The rules seem to have morphed, and now I'm supposed to tell you 7 more things about myself.  (Because that last 7 wasn't enough.)

I was so cheered when some of you said my life was cool after my 7 random facts LOL. I enjoy it a lot but I also deal with some annoying chronic issues.  Ironically, many of them have to do with sugar...

  1. I have hyperinsulinism/hypoglycemia.  It's a huge f$*#ing issue in my life - it prevents me from signing up for anything that would keep me from food for more than 3 hours.  I constantly have to think ahead to my next meal and my hours revolve around the question, "When did I last eat?  Where can I get food?"  I get headaches and shakes all the damn time.  I come from a diabetic family on both sides, so it's not a surprise, but it's a big fat hassle.  To this day some people think it's psychological, including my RN stepmom. And I'm not ruling that out.  But seriously, I eat six times a day and I weigh just a little over 100 pounds.  I don't think that's psychological, otherwise I'd be a millionaire with my diet plan.
  2. I've been insomniac my whole life.  My mom says I was even a night owl baby.  I had a rough childhood and I could barely sleep at night as a kid.  Even now my mind races and I have to take muscle relaxants if I'm expected to get up early the next day.  
  3. Part of my difficulty sleeping has to do with my hypoglycemia.  If I'm too hungry, I can't fall asleep or stay asleep.  I get this light, tingly feeling in my arms like I'll float away.  My issues are all related. Fun!
  4. I'm prone to day-long migraines that sometimes don't stop with Motrin, but miraculously disappear when it hits 9 p.m. or later.  Like I said - night owl.
  5. After two car accidents and a lifetime of computing, my neck is janky.  I have a hard time finding pillows and I have to switch pillows 2 or 3 times a night.  These days I'm using a rolled up towel.
  6. Because I danced my whole life and have a weird gait, I developed recurring bursitis in my hip in my early 20's, ending my aspirations to be a pop star backup dancer.  I did end up dancing professionally anyway (HUGE redemption!), which I'll blog about one day.  
  7. I have extreme myopia (almost legally blind) and SPK, which is a severe dry eye.  I drop my eyes twice a day to produce more tears and I have to be careful when wearing contacts, which sometimes hurt.  I've worn glasses since I was 8.
As you can see, my body is a hot mess, but heck, as long as it looks good then I'm still smiling! :)

That's the L.A. mantra at least.  And now it's time to go eat my afternoon snack.

6 comments:

  1. Be able to eat constantly and still weigh just over a 100lbs...I'm tempted to say I'm jealous considering I'm one who always wants to eat but can't just eat cos of weight gain, but I know that hypoglycemia is just as serious as my condition which is insulin resistance/prediabetes. Oh well...life. Happy to see you're back too and that we survived bloggerpocalypse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, as long as you are healthy and keep yourself in check, then only you know what works for you.

    The migraine issue has been a huge one for me, especially since moving here to Hawaii. I've done the full MRI, imitrex, pain killers, etc... and what seems to have worked with me lately, is doing the netty pot and claritin. Swear to God. I'm treating it as a sinus headache, as opposed to the many years that I've related it to hormones. Just thought I'd share that.

    And as for the night owl thing, I have that problem too (but not that extreme). If I could just turn my mind off, everything would be fine. I always joke with my husband and say that I am a freaking perfect candidate for "medicinal marijuana" card due to my migraines and anxiety. :0

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. None of that sounds fun at all. You take good care of yourself though. That is damn impressive. You know I'm going to tell you to go to yoga 3 - 4 times a week. GO TO YOGA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geeze, I really have no idea how to respond to these seven things. They don't sound fun. But you're right, at least you look good (and are a hell of a good writer)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hypoglycemic as well, though it's not so bad. The hardest thing for me is how weak and jittery I start to feel when I go too long without food. But I can only eat little bits at a time.

    Boooo! It stinks. But there are worse things, I suppose. I think.

    Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our bodies can have a lot of things wrong with it but somehow God makes us whole enough to live a full lilfe...im your newest follower! thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete

I love dogs AND comments!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...